Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Find electronic resources
PowerPoint in the Classroom
Microsoft PowerPoint is a slideshow presentation software that was developed by Microsoft Office in 1990. Traditionally teachers and librarians have used PowerPoint as electronic slide-overheads; however, PowerPoint contains features that could transform your PowerPoint presentation into something more dynamic and engaging for your students.
The following is a list of helpful tips on using PowerPoint in a 21st century learning environment:
- Use simple template themes or solid colour backgrounds
- State takeaway point on each slide! Use very few words and large fonts
- Use cool colours (i.e. green, blue, etc.) for the background and warm colours (i.e. red, organge, etc.) for text
- Titles and headings should be kept short
- If you are using text or bullet points, apply the "less is best" rule
- Integrate slides into each activity or exercise as much as possible
- Add bold, colourful, 2D (never 3D) images to your presentation. Images should match the content
- Slide transitions and animations should be used to illustrate main points and flow of the conversation
- Synchronize music with transitions and animations to help facilitate emotional connections. Music should be familiar to your audience
- Embed videos and polls into your presentation
Source: Berk, R.A. (2012). Top 10 evidence-based, best practices for PowerPoint in the classroom. Transformative Dialogues: Teaching and Learning Journal, 5(3).
PowerPoint Add Ins
Power Mockup is a storyboard and wireframe tool that you can use with PowerPoint
"pptPlex is an Office Labs experiment that uses Plex technology to give you the power to zoom in and out of slide sections and move directly between slides that are not sequential in your presentation. "
empower® slides is a content management Add-in integrated in your PowerPoint: everything in one-central slide library, instantly searchable, available offline, everything in your Corporate Design and always up-to-date – on-premise or in the cloud