The following is a preparation checklist for teachers interested in preparing a classroom activity or unit on the topic of mental illness. The checklist was prepared by the Centre for Addictions and Mental Health. The checklist can be found in the document Talking About Mental Ilness.
Before the presentation:
- Prepare students in advance by covering material in classroom.
- Establish clear ground rules and expectations for students (e.g., respectful listening, privacy and confidentiality).
During the presentation:
- If possible, invite a guidance counsellor, social worker, or school nurse to be present
- Observe students’ reactions to the material and the speakers.
After the presentation:
- Distribute the resource list of local mental health services and supports to students.
- Follow up with students who express concerns.